Thursday, July 26, 2012

Wyatt's Story - Part 3

I tried to make small talk with the attendant as I was wheeled on a gurney to the operating room. After all the day had included, I was still (somehow) managing to joke and smile. Between the Women's Center Labor & Delivery Room, there was a giant maze of hallways and tunnels that I was wheeled through. One of the most memorable moments of this time was what the hospital had done to soothe patients headed to surgery -- children had painted the ceiling tiles in a variety of different murals. All ages and all artistry types. Strangely enough, it gave me great peace.

Surgery was quick and uneventful. However, I will say it was one of the best twelve minute naps of my life thanks to the anesthesia.

It was after midnight when I was taken to my recovery room. The night nurses had been wonderful enough to find me something to eat, as I had been on ice chips for over 24 hours. Chocolate cake and pasta at midnight never tasted better. I told the nurse (who has a daughter close to the same ages as Bug and Pup): "Hey! Chocolate cake! And I don't have to share with toddlers!"

I slept fitfully that night between the constant barrage of nurses and techs in my room and the horrible nightmares caused by coming off the anesthesia.

The next morning, the nurses presented me with a box. Inside, they had taken photos of Wyatt. They had his hospital bracelets (too small to use) and his hand/foot prints. There was also a tear drop pendant for me and a card from the darling nurses. I cried when I saw it.

The doctor who had been present the night before came in to brief me on leaving the hospital. He said that after examining Wyatt, there was nothing wrong. He basically just stopped growing at 15 weeks, lived for another two weeks, and then passed on. He assured me I did nothing wrong. He also let me know that A & C had stayed with Wyatt until almost 1 AM... they didn't want him to be alone. (Remember, they had been on shift since 6 AM the previous morning.)

By the time Mr. Wonderful arrived at my hospital room, I was ready to check out. We headed home with sorrow and to begin planning a funeral.

More on Wyatt's Story tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment